August – Tips for your Garden
Summer may well be the time of year to sit and relax, and enjoy the heady heat in your garden, but in spite of the heat, August is a month for getting certain things done, even if you take it slowly!
Here are our top August Activities to keep your garden blooming…
1. If you’ve got Wisteria, now is the time to prune – this will ensure strong growth next season.
2. Whatever your flowering plants, now is the time to deadhead them – this will not only ensure longer growing time, but also help nourish your perennials for even more blooms this and next summer.
3. It sounds obvious, but don’t forget to water regularly! Try and be water-wise, and use recycled or grey water if possible.
4. If you’re looking to replant for next Spring, now is the time to collect seeds from your flowers as they die away. Remember to store them in a cool, dry place.
5. For rose enthusiasts, now is a good time to dead-head your plants to ensure strong, ongoing flower generation.
6. Keep an eye out for pests and powdery mildew, which can be especially common in late Summer.
7. Plan for next Spring – oftentimes nurseries will have special prices on next year’s Spring perennials, so take the cue to stock up now!
For more growing advice as well as information on our wide variety of bulbs, get in touch with one of our friendly staff today.