How to Grow Alliums
Alliums are an absolute must for any perennial garden. These easy to grow, undemanding bulbs have a great diversity in colours, textures, flowering heights and bloom times, giving any garden long-lasting colour from early through to late Summer.
Why grow Alliums?
Alliums are tough, perennial bulbs (related to onions, shallots and garlic) that produce an excellent range of cut flowers or blooms for dried bouquets. They are hardy and easy to grow, with tall elegant stems that don’t overcrowd an area, making them perfect companions to other flowering annuals and perennials in any garden.
Where to grow Alliums
- Alliums are remarkably tough, drought-resistant and will grow best in full sun.
- They make an excellent ornamental border, and can be clumped together to give a full block of colour along pathways, as layers of colour in larger beds, or mixed in with other flowers to add depth of colour.
- Once planted, they generally multiply naturally, and can be left untouched in the same area for years.
How to grow Alliums
- Plant in mid-Autumn in well-composted, free-draining soil that is slightly acidic.
- For the best visual effect, plant the bulbs in holes about 2 to 3 times as deep as the bulb’s diameter.
- Water regularly during dry spells but take care not to over-water as this may cause the bulbs to rot.
- After flowering remove the deadheads but leave as many leaves as possible to produce food for the following season.
- Alliums are fairly slow to multiply, but once the flowers have finished you can lift the bulbs if you choose, and remove the offsets for replanting immediately, although it may take a couple of years for these offset bulbs to flower.
What varieties of Alliums do Gee-Tee have?
Gee Tee have a large selection of Alliums ranging from the formal and informal varieties. From the shorter types like the Allium Karataviense, perfect for tubs and pots to the tall elegant types such as Purple Sensation and Gladiator, which will look wonderful planted in amongst your perennials. They can also be used for long-lasting cut flowers.